For those of us who somehow haven’t quite noticed the season changing, it is now October!
Halloween, the season of spooks and fright, is just around the corner. Luckily for parents of younger children, we all know the celebration isn’t actually that scary.
What it is, however, is the time of the year where children get to go out and about to collect sweets!
Time to break out the candy stash to give away!
Unfortunately, not everyone is able to get the day off so they can participate in the celebration with spooky, scary skeletons.
By the way, if you just don’t like dealing with children but still want to make the experience a happy one for them, you are also perfectly valid!
Not to mention it is very kind of you to still want to be considerate.
So, what’s a busy or unwilling adult to do? Why, in keeping with the spirit of the season, make a monster to take care of the sweet giving of course!
A Cookie Monster pumpkin head, to be exact!
All of us who grew up with Sesame Street will recognize this fluffy, blue, cookie-loving monster and know exactly what his presence entails – cookies!
And luckily for us older folks, most children these days are still growing up with Sesame Street, so this pumpkin should be universally understood by all ages.
In case you are unsure your DIY skills are up to this artistic task, don’t worry! It isn’t really that hard.
All you need to do is to hollow out and carve up a pumpkin, paint it blue, then stick some styrofoam eyes on it. Simple!
If you don’t quite trust your way around a knife, you can opt to have a straight-line smiley mouth instead of Cookie Monster’s characteristic jagged upper lip.
Or if that is still isn’t a doable option, you can just completely ignore cutting out a mouth and simply paint one on the pumpkin instead. Done!
Here’s a list of materials for when you tackle this fun little project:
- Black and Blue paint. (For painting the eyes and pumpkin.)
- A pumpkin. (Of course!)
- Any tools you will need to carve out your pumpkin.
- Styrofoam balls.
- Hot glue.
- Cookies. (Optional.)
Here are your simple instructions!
- Cut the top of your pumpkin to gain access to its insides. Scoop everything out. (Optional: Rub the insides of the pumpkin with cinnamon to keep it smelling fresh.)
- Draw out where your mouth should be on the pumpkin in a design that makes you happy. Then, cut it out!
- Paint the soon-to-be Cookie Monster’s head blue. (You don’t have to do the inside of the mouth if you would rather not.)
- Paint the Cookie Monster’s pupils! Just make some flat, black circles for this.
- Use the hot glue gun to stick the Cookie Monster’s new eyes where you think eyes should go.
- You’re done! Fill him up with cookies for bonus points.
As you can see, this is an incredibly easy DIY project you can do with your children.
Once Halloween is here, you can display him proudly on the front porch, or behind a plate of cookies!